• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Era Of Kashmir

Weekly Newspaper

  • Home
  • J&K
  • India
  • Opinion
  • Editorial
  • Columns
  • SOCIETY
  • Tourism
  • Education
  • e Paper
Home » Centre ends Haj subsidy

Centre ends Haj subsidy

NEW DELHI: Haj pilgrims will no longer receive any subsidy this year onwards, with the government saying the decision is part of its agenda of empowerment of minorities without appeasement.

Union minister for minority affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Tuesday confirmed that the Haj subsidy has been withdrawn. “This is part of our policy to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement,” Naqvi told reporters.

A policy to withdraw the Haj subsidy had been drafted in light of a 2012 Supreme Court order asking the Centre to abolish it gradually by 2022. The government will offer air and waterways option for the pilgrims as cost will go up.

The cut in funds meant for subsidy will be used for educational empowerment and welfare of girls from minority communities, Naqvi said.

The policy aims at rationalising distribution of the Haj quota between the Haj Committee of India and private tour operators in the ratio of 70:30 for the next five years. It also stresses on breaking the cartel of contractors with a transparent bidding process.

The highest number of pilgrims are likely to go for Haj pilgrimage in 2018, after Saudi Arabia hiked India’s pilgrim quota by 5,000 earlier this year. Now, a total of 1.75 lakh Indian citizens can go for Haj.

Around 1,300 women from India will make the annual pilgrimage without a “Mehram” (unmarriageable male kin) after Riyadh relaxed norms and allowed a group of at least four women over the age of 45 to go on Haj unchaperoned.

Filed Under: India Published on January 16, 2018

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Sidebar

Latest ePaper

Cover Stories

The Voltage Crisis

The Voltage Crisis

Published on February 17, 2026

The Power Development Department boasts a 250 percent surge in revenue and a crackdown on theft. Yet, with an 800 MW deficit and failing infrastructure, the lights are still going out. Why financial gains haven’t translated into a reliable grid for the Valley. By Riyaz Bhat With the end of 2025, the power sector in […]

  • J&K Budget 2026: J&K Govt Announces Free LPG, Fee Waivers, and Jobs for the Poor
  • The Silent Ebb
  • Cloud, Code, and Connectivity
  • Year 2025: How J&K Moved Forward
  • The Gifted Hands of Kashmir
  • LG Admin Corrects Past Wrongs
  • GROUNDED AND CAPPED
  • Kashmir’s Shift to a Concrete Jungle
  • Patel Would’ve Shaped J&K Differently: LG Sinha
  • Explosive Evidence, Deadly Error

More Posts from this Category

Education

The Dilemma of First Standard Admissions

Published on February 17, 2026

Why J&K’s First Graders Deserve a Compassionate Transition By Mool Raj I am not a think tank, nor do I claim to be a policy expert sitting in the ivory towers of academia. I am simply a person—a concerned citizen and a parent—who wishes to express a view that is currently keeping thousands of families […]

  • Kashmir’s Pet Boom Demands Responsibility
  • Echoes of the Valley
  • Kupwara Revives Kashmir’s Poetic Tradition
  • Majeed Masroor’s Transition from Song to Social Critique
  • Book Review: Dr. Shaheena Yusuf’s Afsanvi Sadaein

Footer

About Us

Contact Us

e Paper

© 2005–2026 Era Of Kashmir